Awko🌮
Howie, our narrator from The Mezzanine, is a very interesting character with many deep intellectual thoughts. While reading this novel, I personally had multiple instances where I couldn’t relate to Howie, either because he was talking about something that I had never thought about (for example, the greatness of the Panasonic three-wheeled vacuum cleaner), or because I just thought he was straight-up absurd. The idea of imagining myself urinating on someone’s face to help relax while doing my business had never crossed my mind until he talked about it. Even so, I think Howie can still be a very relatable character. One aspect of Howie that I could relate to was his awkward interactions with other people, as Baker exaggerates these small moments of uncertainty and overthinking that can occur in our everyday lives.
One of the most relatable awkward moments Howie shares is his experience passing Bob Leary on the escalator. He describes the different things he does during their few seconds of passing each other on the escalator and how, even though the “ongoing status as stranger was really an embarrassment,” they could never move past it because they never cared to interact with each other and therefore move to “an even higher plane of awkwardness” each time they meet (Baker 60). When I first read this passage, the scene felt extremely relatable and familiar; I’ve definitely had this kind of experience walking through the hallways during a free period, seeing someone I know but don’t KNOW, and awkwardly walking past them while scrolling on my phone or looking at random things on the walls. Although I’ve never pulled the “oops, I forgot something” move to avoid an awkward walk past someone at school, Howie’s prior relatability in his awkward situation made it easier for me to picture myself pointing in the air with my index finger and walking away as if I actually forgot something.
Another awkward moment that instantly clicked with me was the part where Howie is at Tina’s office to sign the “Get better soon” card for Ray, and they end up trying to decide whose pen to use. I especially like how detailed the description of them is, and I could just picture the scene in slow motion as both of them are trying to be thoughtful for the other person. Baker writes, “she, seeing that I was now beginning to reach for her pen, canceled her retraction, but meanwhile I, processing her earlier corrective movement, had gone back to reaching for my own pen” (Baker 30). Reading this passage, I could think of multiple occasions where trying to be considerate of the other person and moving out of the way had caused us to exchange mutual bobbings or even crash into each other. Even without being a socially awkward person, readers can still relate to the awkwardness of this kind of moment.
In summary, Howie’s awkward moments are relatable because they can happen to anyone, even to those reading the book decades later. Although Baker exaggerates these small interactions and describes them in much greater detail than most people would think about, the exaggeration is what helps make the moments so recognizable. Howie’s experiences reflect a deeper insecurity many of us have about worrying about how others think of us and overthinking our actions. So, no matter how unrelatable he is at times, his human interactions remind readers that they are not the only ones who face awkward moments with others.
Baker, Nicholson. The Mezzanine. Grove Press, 2010.
Hey Yuto, I really enjoyed reading this blog about the awkwardness that we all face in our lives. I also relate to the slightly embarrassing and self-aware feeling you get when walking past someone you just "kinda" know. In response to your third paragraph, just today, I was walking down the first floor hallway when I noticed I was on a collision course with someone. Instinctively, I move to the left of the hallway where there was more space. Unfortunately, the other person did the same, and we ended up feinting twice in parallel. Anyways... Great blog!
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job explaining the relatability and awkwardness that Howie presents in this novel, Yuto. I'm glad at least one person was willing to talk about how weird that bathroom passage was in their blog because when I read that, I genuinely had to put the book down for a minute. Overall, amazing stuff as usual.
ReplyDeleteHello Yuto! Reading this blog post was a very meta experience because I heavily related to you relating to Howie. I really enjoyed how you were able to explain exactly how and why The Mezzanine is so relatable. It is very nice to notice how many awkward moments or interactions are familiar to so many people. I think it makes us realize that we are all a little socially awkward. Thanks for the great blog. I'm a little confused by the title though...
ReplyDeleteGreat job having the bravery to talk about the bathroom scene. I never want to read that scene or this post again. I wonder how Howie would feel about the phrase awko taco.
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto. First of all I'd like to say amazing blog. Second, I wanted to point out you touching on things Howie goes through that we all do. I feel like sometimes we can over analyze this book and miss the things that are right in front of us
ReplyDeleteHey Yuts, I really liked your point that Baker’s exaggeration is actually what makes Howie relatable. The escalator scene with Bob Leary stood out to me too because it captures that strange social space between being complete strangers and actual friends. Even though Howie’s thoughts can seem bizarre at times, moments like these remind us that a lot of people share the same insecurities and social anxieties, which makes him feel much more human. Good job Yuto
ReplyDeleteHey Yuto! I really like how you talked about the relatable side of Howie, especially discussing the awkward escalator scene where he avoids Bob Leary (I have pulled the "oh no I forgot something" multiple times to avoid interacting with people, so I felt that moment deep in my soul). And I agree with you, Howie definitely have his moment of like "okay, this guy is just absurd" (the bathroom scene), but he also was a genuinely human character, and these moments of awkwardness and overthinking really illustrate how "human" he is. Great blog post!
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto, the bathroom scene still haunts me to this day but kudos to you for including it in your blog. Howie is definitely someone that we can all relate to and that's probably the most charismatic part of the book. However, reading a book only about a somewhat relatable guy doing some what relatable things doesn't make the book interesting enough for me. great blog!
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto ,I do think that Howie’s awkward interactions are some of the most relatable parts of the novel, especially because Baker exaggerates situations that most people would normally forget about. I’ve definitely had moments like Howie’s interactions with Bob Leary, where you recognize someone but don’t know them well enough to actually say anything. Do you think Howie’s overthinking makes these situations more relatable, or does it make his awkwardness seem more extreme?
ReplyDeleteIn the interaction with Tina about the get-well card, I also relate to Howie's moment of hesitation around which petal to sign--he doesn't want to be TOO close to the margins, but he also doesn't want to presume to put his name right next to the boss's name. I've had to sign my share of condolence and get-well cards for colleagues over the years, and I do find myself making these silent calculations, finding a good spot that isn't too presumptuously large or central, but not tiny and scrawled writing in the bottom corner either. And then what do you write? Will others read what you wrote? Is it awkward to write the exact same wording for a conventional expression of sympathy as the person next to you? Do you need to come up with some snappy variant on "I'm sorry for your loss?" Everyday life is full of these little negotiations and calculations, and there's no explicit rule book for us to refer to.
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto! I too relate to this book and the blog in a lot of the awkward interactions. The silent ignoring of someone is a very common experience, but I agree the "oops I forgot something method" is much rarer. It's possible I have done it in my life, but it would never be my go to. I think the Mezzanine is intentionally written this way to be very relatable to us. Howie is always addressing us, and I think this feeds into the idea that Howie knows and can relate to us. Overal great blog!
ReplyDeleteHola Yutoto, very interesting take on the character Howie, I am inclined to agree that he is a little award. He does some very interesting things in the book and he has some very interesting thoughts, some may say weird, I say unorthodox. I dont think hes necessarily a weird guy hes just a little unconventional, like my friend kabir said in his blog, an odd ball. I like how you brough this aspect of Howie to light and you really did a great job on this blog. Keep it up toto I'm excited to see what you have in store for us next time!
ReplyDeleteW blog Yuto. Honestly, I can relate so much with the awkwardness of walking past someone who I know and probably should acknowledge, but also don't know how to naturally greet them. I feel like this is the worst especially for introverts like me, but the weather app always comes in clutch.
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto! I agree with both you and Howie. Awkward moments are a given, but I feel like I'm very aware of them and almost play them out in my head the same way Howie does. Though, Howie's description of the moments make his feel even more awkward. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi Yuto, I really like your perspective because it's relatable. Additionally, I really liked how you wrote about your own personal experience of accidentally moving in the same direction as someone else; it gives a nice touch to your blog and makes it unique and personal. I can relate to Howie's experiences as well. For instance, when I was younger, I had a tendency to obsess over the little things, like passing by a common acquaintance with whom I had previously chatted.
ReplyDelete